[squid-users] private DNS, browsers, and Squid

From: Michael W. Lucas <mwlucas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:16:58 -0400

Hi,

(This might be considered tangential to this list. My apologies if
so. I've searched the squid mailing list archives, FAQ, and Google
without getting an answer, and squid-users@ is where I'll find the
people who have dealt with this before.)

I'm running squid 2.6 stable 9, on Linux. Our clients are configured
to access the proxy via a proxy.pac file. We want our clients to
access internal Web sites directly, but access external sites only
through the proxy.

Our clients are migrating from having full access to public DNS, to
having access to only the internal private DNS. (Not my idea, but
when global management says do it, you do it.) When we switch a
client over to the private DNS, Web surfing slows a great deal.

Packet sniffing shows that the client is talking to the proxy, but the
client is also trying all of its DNS servers to resolve the hostname
of the Web site. With complex Web sites this can take a while -- for
example, the front page for www.cnn.com has several hostnames in it.
I suspect this is causing the very slow access.

Do other people see this behavior? What did you do? Surely we're not
the first people to use Squid, IE, and private DNS?

Thanks,
==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas	mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org