RE: [squid-users] Squid + Policy-Based Routing +LoadBalancing/Clustering???

From: <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:26:27 +1200 (NZST)

> Aaahhhh, I see your point. I wasn't thinking before I spoke. To bypass
> the normal route to the outside world would be in violation of our
> security policy and would set a precedent that I don't think our CIO is
> ready to defend

That sounds ... to me as a security consultant ... like you have a very
troubling security setup there. The load balancer _outside_ the FW
inaccessible to squid directly??

You should be considering both load balancer, squid and any other servers
as valuable company resources to protect from both internet and some
clients. FW outbound and inbound but not between them (unless your _very_
paranoid and have a FW on each machine ... which is a story for later...).

But that is all besides Henriks point. Which was...

Squid should be able to go out via FW directly for vetting not through a
load balancer which may easily circle the loop back to squid again , and
again, ....

Thus the paths should look like this ...

User->FW/Router->Balancer->Squid->FW->Internet
and
Internet->FW->Squid->FW/Router->User

FW and Router should be considered as fast like a switch, somthing that
can be traversed easily more than once, but only as an invisible hop to
elsewhere.

There is no need for squid to go through the balancer twice. The
squid->internet part _cannot_ be balanced at your end by the nature of the
protocols.
Doing so merely doubles the traffic going through your hardware. Not
exactly something you want to do under any circumstances.

Amos

pPS. Oh and PLEASE do not claim confidentiality on writing which are
published for the entire world to see in perpetuity.