[squid-users] delay pools strangeness

From: Jason Taylor <j@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:51:51 -0400

Hello list,

I have been putting in delay pools and just noticed an odd behaviour.
My workstation was in the middle of a long file transfer which was
properly being limited by the delay pools.
I then made a modification to my squid filters and did a squid -k
reconfigure to load the changes.
I then saw my download go from the limited 100mbit to an apparently
unlimited speed. The rate continued to climb until the file was
completely transfered.

Does the rate-limiting stop when the proxy is reloaded because the
limited connection has already passed through all the squid.conf acls
and delay_access parameters and has been approved?

Am I missing something? Do I need a smack upside the head from the
clue-stick? Or is this just how it works? The group of people I am
wanting to rate-limit are the IT support staff that, while they don't
have many restrictions on what they can browse, do tend to see nothing
wrong with downloading 700MB ISO images at 09h without a second thought
as to the impact this has on the users that actually need our Internet
bandwidth to make money for our company...

Any pointers are appreciated.

I am running squid 2.6-STABLE9.
Here is the appropriate section from the squid.conf:
delay_pools 1
delay_class 1 3
delay_parameters 1 131072/262144 -1/-1 12800/102400
acl ITgroup 10.100.123.0/24
delay_access 1 allow ITgroup

Cheers,

/Jason