Re: [squid-users] cache_peer - multiple ones

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 13:13:13 -0800

gje@indigo-cube.co.uk wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Okay - I've followed those instructions and squid reloads the configuration file without any
> issues.

After setting up a test machine, and looking through the archives of
this thread, it appears as though my instructions were... Less than
perfect. No surprise there. :o)

Here's the revised version...

cache_peer webcluster.education.swansea.sch.uk parent 8080 7 no-digest
no-query no-netdb-exchange default login=PASS name=proxy
cache_peer webcluster.education.swansea.sch.uk parent 443 7 no-digest
no-query no-netdb-exchange default login=PASS name=proxyssl
cache_peer_access proxyssl allow CONNECT
cache_peer_access proxyssl deny all
cache_peer_access proxy deny CONNECT
cache_peer_access proxy allow all

The above settings will cause your child proxy (the Debian Etch machine) to:
* acknowledge authentication requests from the parent proxy and pass
them to the end user
* use port 443 on the parent proxy for all CONNECT traffic
* use port 8080 on the parent proxy for all other traffic
and
* use the first (successful) authentication credentials for all traffic.

My test parent proxy was using the basic authentication scheme. You
mentioned Active Directory, but also that prompts were required for
authentication, so I am assuming this is not going to be the issue. If
you want to use one login and password pair for all traffic, change
"login=PASS" to "login=user:password"* on both cache_peer definitions,
and you will not be prompted for a password at all.

> Cheers
>
> GJE

Chris

*Where you replace the word "user" with the actual username and the word
"password" with the associated password.