RE: [squid-users] Wiki help for WPAD/PAC stuff (was Re: [squid-users] proxy.pac config)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 14:43:10 +0200

tis 2007-05-15 klockan 16:56 -0700 skrev Jeff Smith:

> However, if the browser is not configured to use a PAC
> file but a PAC file is delivered it brings up a
> Security Alert because the browser never requested it.
> I know the old Netscape browsers did this but am not
> sure about IE.

What they do varies. Some just show an error page, some asks you where
to save the file. Some displays it on the screen.

To do the automatic configuration thing this way you need to write a
program to automatically reconfigure the client. It's not possible via
javascript or similar (at least not when fetched over the network, not
sure when loaded from file:///)