RE: [squid-users] Wiki help for WPAD/PAC stuff (was Re: [squid-users] proxy.pac config)

From: Jeff Smith <headsup_popup@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 16:56:14 -0700 (PDT)

It has been a few years since I played with PAC files
in browsers. I think redirecting a request from
browser to automatically configure the browser will
only work if the browser is first configured to use a
PAC file. When the browser starts up and it is
configured to use a PAC file, its first request goes
to the URL the PAC file is located at and the file is
downloaded. Subsequent requests use the information
contained in the PAC file to go DIRECT or to a PROXY
etc.

However, if the browser is not configured to use a PAC
file but a PAC file is delivered it brings up a
Security Alert because the browser never requested it.
I know the old Netscape browsers did this but am not
sure about IE.

Jeff Smith

--- SSCR Internet Admin <admin@sscrmnl.edu.ph> wrote:

> That is great Adrian. Ill keep visiting you wiki,
> and lets see what I could
> help out. Anyway about your Q about redirecting
> port 80 to a site, iptables
> will redirect all browsers connecting to port 80 to
> a local site where a
> script can be fired automatically to configure the
> browser to use the PAC.
> (of course it should check if it's a valid ip). I
> don't know if Php or
> javascript can do this.
>
> Regards

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time