[squid-users] Reverse Proxy Question

From: David Seltzer <dseltzer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 17:56:42 -0400

Hi Everyone,

I'm running Squid 2.6Stable13 on Fedora Core 6.

I'm using squid as a reverse proxy for a pool of web servers, but I have a few questions about the setup.

At the moment my config for the servers looks like this:

cache_peer app2 parent 8080 0 no-query originserver round-robin weight=1
cache_peer app1 parent 8080 0 no-query originserver round-robin weight=4

My first question is: Does the weight parameter affect the way that MISS requests are passed on?
My experiments lead me to believe the answer is yes, but I'm not quite sure how. Does this example mean that app2 should get 1/4th of the hits or 1/5th of the hits?

My second question, is: Should I be using CARP instead? I've had no luck in trying to get it to work, and the only reason I can
think of is that maybe CARP doesn't apply in a situation where I'm not using ICP between servers.

Thanks very much!

-Dave