Re: [squid-users] Reverse Proxy Question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 01:16:37 +0200

tor 2007-05-24 klockan 17:56 -0400 skrev David Seltzer:

> At the moment my config for the servers looks like this:
>
> cache_peer app2 parent 8080 0 no-query originserver round-robin weight=1
> cache_peer app1 parent 8080 0 no-query originserver round-robin weight=4

Ok.

> My first question is: Does the weight parameter affect the way that MISS requests are passed on?
> My experiments lead me to believe the answer is yes, but I'm not quite sure how. Does this example mean that app2 should get 1/4th of the hits or 1/5th of the hits?

yes.

> My second question, is: Should I be using CARP instead? I've had no luck in trying to get it to work, and the only reason I can
> think of is that maybe CARP doesn't apply in a situation where I'm not using ICP between servers.

Squid only implements inter-array CARP forwarding, not intra-array CARP
forwarding. As a result it's only usable in forwarding requests to an
array of caches, not for optimizing the forwarding within an array of
caches.

But it is possible to build a two-layer structure on the same servers,
by running a non-caching CARP frontend layer connecting to the caching
Squids.

But it's not much related to forwarding of requests to the origin
servers. Here weighted round-robin is probably the best unless you need
to keep session state on the servers..