Re: [squid-users] Transparent Proxy Problems

From: Matt <lm7812@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 11:20:54 -0500

> > I am running Squid 2.6STABLE13 as a transparent proxy. I am running
> > into troubles with it downloading updates to messenger for yahoo.
> > Some users seem to download the patch file or whatever automatically.
> > As soon as its done downloading they just download again in an endless
> > loop all day long.
> >
> > Anyone else see anything weird when they do a grep like so on there access log?
> >
> > grep msgup810_249 access.log
>
> Hi Matt,
>
> I do see them once in a while in my access.log. But they are not continuously and does not happen for the whole day like in a loop.
>
> Also I see the logs for just a few IPs out of all my clients.
> Are you sure that this message is related to squid transparency?
>
> That's because till date, I have not heard any problems regarding Yahoo messenger.
>
> Anyway, what is the setup of your transproxy?

I have a Mikrotik gateway router that connects our network to a 10mbps
Internet connection. Our daily average is about 5mbps. The router
uses DST-NAT to route all port 80 connections to a CentOS box running
Squid. It works quite well except for this.

I noticed one client IP in logs today that downloaded it 141 times
over and over. That IP is tied to a single PC. In logs its just
repeated, MISS_GET then REFRESH_GET_MISS, over and over. I saw
another IP do a MISS_GET_HEAD then MISS_GET then done just as supposed
too.

Matt