[squid-users] Bucket assignment reversed by router in WCCP v2

From: varadha tech <varadha.tech@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 17:28:19 -0400

Hello,

I would like to know if any one has tried out running squid caches
as a cache cluster to leverage load balancing support in WCCPv2.

I am currently using a wccp daemon based on squid-2.5.STABLE10 - to
understand the load balancing functionality - modified to send out
the Redirect_Assign by the lead cache that has the lowest IP. I see
that the router *always*
allocates buckets in the reverse order of the specified assignment;
for example, with two caches the lead cache specifies buckets 0-127 to
itself and 128-255 to the other; but the router assigns buckets 0-127
to the other cache and 128-255 to lead cache. Has any one experienced
this before?

(P.S:
Googling revealed another posting in the squid mail archives:
http://marc.info/?l=squid-users&m=97359430131458&w=2
which has the exact problem using WCCP v1.)

Routers that have this behavior:
Cisco 3600, IOS 12.3(1a); Cisco 2600 IOS 12.3(9a)