Re: [squid-users] Bucket assignment reversed by router in WCCP v2

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 11:59:41 +0800

On Fri, May 25, 2007, varadha tech wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if any one has tried out running squid caches
> as a cache cluster to leverage load balancing support in WCCPv2.
>
> I am currently using a wccp daemon based on squid-2.5.STABLE10 - to
> understand the load balancing functionality - modified to send out
> the Redirect_Assign by the lead cache that has the lowest IP. I see
> that the router *always*
> allocates buckets in the reverse order of the specified assignment;
> for example, with two caches the lead cache specifies buckets 0-127 to
> itself and 128-255 to the other; but the router assigns buckets 0-127
> to the other cache and 128-255 to lead cache. Has any one experienced
> this before?

Its entirely possible the spec (which Squid's WCCP1/2 implementations
implement the bare minimum of to function) and reality differ.
If you find it to be the case on more hardware then please, let us know,
and we'll sort out a commit to make things make sense.

(I've got kit here to test out WCCPv2 assignment stuff, I'm just
lacking time.)

adrian