Re: [squid-users] Squid not resolve Netbios Name (short name of host)

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 18:57:49 +0200

On 30.05.07 14:22, Hoang An wrote:
> In LAN, I have WINS, DNS Server on Windows 2003, they will resolve
> all name (internal, internet). Current, I install squid-2.6.STABLE13
> from source in RHEL 4AS and use iptable accept port 8080. (I think all
> my rules is OK).
> I also have some Web Sever (IIS 6) in LAN with name: appserver ,appserver2
> ,...
> Squid Proxy is so good when process request Internet
> Problem: when I use proxy in IE or Firefox in LAN to connect my
> Website in LAN, Squid shows message:
> ""Unable to determine IP address from host name for appserver .
> The dnsserver returned:
> Server Failure: The name server was unable to process this query. ""

Do not wonder. Nobody except windows (and their explorer) resolves netbios
names. If you want to work arounf this, you have to set up dns updates on
your DNS server for your domain, so all netbios names will be propagated to
DNS.

Posli tento mail 100 svojim znamim - nech vidia aky si idiot
Send this email to 100 your friends - let them see what an idiot you are