[squid-users] Squid not resolve Netbios Name (short name of host)

From: Hoang An <vohoangan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 14:22:24 +0700

Dear all,

I have a topology like that
        Internet ------- Modem ADSL (172.16.0.3/16) -------- Switch
-------- LAN (172.16.0.0/16)

         Squid Proxy (172.16.6.4/16)

In LAN, I have WINS, DNS Server on Windows 2003, they will resolve
all name (internal, internet). Current, I install squid-2.6.STABLE13
from source in RHEL 4AS and use iptable accept port 8080. (I think all
my rules is OK).
I also have some Web Sever (IIS 6) in LAN with name: appserver ,appserver2 ,...
Squid Proxy is so good when process request Internet
Problem: when I use proxy in IE or Firefox in LAN to connect my
Website in LAN, Squid shows message:
""Unable to determine IP address from host name for appserver .
   The dnsserver returned:
   Server Failure: The name server was unable to process this query. ""
In address bar of web browser I use --> http://appserver/htql
But if I use http://172.16.0.107/htql (IP address of appserver), it
connect or I use http://appserver.mydomain.com/htql (FQDN of
appserver) it connect too
My WINS, DNS Server in LAN properties operation.
In RHEL i use command ""nmblookup -A appserver"", it ok
but when use command ""nmblookup appserver"" , it fail to resolve the name to IP
I really want to trouble shooting this big problem. My Website in LAN
very important to client
Can you show me the way to fix this correct.
I think we can try in some case:
- If Squid find in URL of client has string "appserver" Squid not
process this request and direct straight to my Web Server
Or .....

Thanks