Re: [squid-users] save bandwidth and performance questions (ISP)

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 09:57:06 +0800

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007, Pablo Fernandes Yahoo wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I would like to know what could i do to have a good cache working with squid
> in a ISP. The main purpose is save bandwidth ar the ISP that i work for.
> That is a small ISP having about 5.000 customers and we sell speeds from
> 100Kbps to 2Mbps (the users are shapped before reach the proxy server, and
> the proxy server has full access to the internet (no shapping for it).
>

> I tryed lots of different configurations but it still not saving too much
> (just about 1Mbps when its working) and in each 2 days it reduce drastically
> the performance without any obvious reason. When this happens, the users
> can't access the web and i need to delete my DNAT rules for the customers
> bypass the proxy, wait some minutes, restart the squid daemon and insert the
> DNAT rules again. I will put here my topology, hardware and software
> informations. Any Tip will help me so much, i will be totaly grateful and
> oweing lots.

* Upgrade to squid-2.6.stable13. You'll thank us. The performance increase
  ove Squid-2.5 under Linux is going to be very noticable.

* Install a pair of disks running AUFS, not diskd

* Give the cache, say, 256 or 384 mb cache_mem; leave the rest for Squid
  indexes and unix disk caching

* Read the FAQ on Performance Tunning under Linux; google for it too.
  You might find a few variables in /proc to set to optimise stuff.

Adrian