Re: [squid-users] SSL and Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 00:08:20 +0200

ons 2007-06-06 klockan 10:26 -0700 skrev Michael Puckett:
> I have a 2 level squid setup. Several top level parent cache servers
> which connect to the internet with multiple child servers supporting my
> internal subnets. Is it possible to configure the top level servers to
> use SSL over the internet and cache the objects locally while allowing
> the child servers to operate internally with no SSL requirement?

Yes, but with limitations.

a) If your clients sends https:// URLs to Squid using HTTP (not CONNECT)
then the Squid closest to the origin server will wrap them up in SSL.

b) For selected sites you can have Squid act as an accelerator, so that
eve if the client requests http://some.site/ squid will still wrap the
request in SSL. See the cache_peer (and cache_peer_access) directive.

c) It's also possible to do 'b' by using an url rewriter/redirector to
rewrite the request from http:// to https:// on the fly.