Re: [squid-users] 2-gigabit throughput, 2 squids

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 00:16:35 +0200

mån 2007-06-11 klockan 14:42 -0500 skrev Dave Dykstra:

> Two different processes
> can't open the same address & port on Linux, but one process can open a
> socket and pass it to two forked children. So, I have modified
> squid2.6STABLE13 to accept a command line option with a file descriptor
> of an open socket to use instead of opening its own socket. I then
> wrote a small perl script to open the socket and fork/exec the two
> squids. This is working and I am now getting around 230MB/s throughput
> according to the squid SNMP statistics.
>
> Does this sound like a reasonable way to do it?

Yes.

> Do you have a preferred
> way to do it?

Yours sound good to me. Why do it differently?

The only thing I might do differently is to also support the passed
filedescriptor to be passed as stdin making the startup more like how
inetd starts such servers..

> If I cleaned up my patch and submitted it, is there a
> chance it could get picked up for inclusion in the standard squid
> distribution so I don't need to maintain it myself?

Yes. Just submit it as a enhancement request in bugzilla, or mail
squid-dev@squid-cache.org