Re: [squid-users] Large Buffers for Squid

From: Dave Dykstra <dwd@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:01:04 -0500

In my performance optimizations of squid I didn't see any benefit to
increasing Linux kernel network buffers. Those are mostly useful for
high-latency (long distance) connections, and I was concentrating on
high speed LAN accesses. I did see a huge increase in performance by
making sure that squid's maximum_object_size_in_memory was small; I set
it at 128KB. The Linux filesystem cache, which as far as I know can
take advantage of all available memory automatically, is much faster
than squid's memory cache for large and even moderately sized objects.
How much throughput are you able to get through the 4 Gbits of network
connections with a single squid?

- Dave Dykstra