Re: [squid-users] Poor performance

From: <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:29:21 +1200 (NZST)

> Hi list.
> - I've a network with 1600 PCs. I'm using to fws (Fedora 3 with
> IPTABLES), and transparent proxy with squid, installed on both FWs.
> - I splited the net to 800 PCs for each fw.
> - I have a very poor network performance. I have a link of 6MBs.
> - I intend also that squid force the cache to some files (EXE, GIF,
> JPG...), as it would supposed to do.
> - How to set squid as FQDN?

Don't quite understand this last question.
How to set a program as a domain name? please explain.

> Thanks in advance;
> Andrey
>

> -> Interesting things on squid.conf
>
> cache_swap_low 80
> cache_swap_high 85
>
> ipcache_size 2048
> fqdncache_size 5000
>

> httpd_accel_host virtual
> httpd_accel_port 80
> httpd_accel_with_proxy on
> httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

You appear to be running squid2.5. For transparent proxy try upgrade to
2.6, which is much better at it.

> # cache_dir ufs /var/cache/squid tamanho_maximo diretorios subdirs
> cache_dir ufs /var/cache/squid 1000 200 10

Try using aufs as filsystem type. It's quite a bit faster than ufs with
high traffic. Also for the size of your network you may want to increase
the available cache size.