[squid-users] httpReadReply: Request not yet fully sent "POST http://xxx/yyy.php"

From: Sean Walberg <sean@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:45:47 -0500

I have squid 2.6 STABLE12 set up as a reverse proxy. Both squid and
the back end web servers are on the same LAN.

Every so often I see this in cache_log:

httpReadReply: Request not yet fully sent "POST http://xxx/yyy.php"

xxx varies, yyy.php is usually the same (most of our POSTs are to the
same script anyway)

Every so often I also get reports of errors when people try to use the
script in question (error meaning blank screen or zero byte reply from
squid). In either case, no errors are logged by Apache. It claims to
be sending back a 302, which is expected behaviour for this script.

Reading up on it a bit tells me that this means that the web server
has returned data before squid finished POSTing the form. This is
usually a PMTU problem in forward-cache scenarios though. I wouldn't
expect PMTU discovery to be a problem on an Ethernet segment where all
devices have the same MTU.

My initial inclination is to get a packet capture, but these errors
are unpredictable so I might be sifting through a lot of data, and I'm
not even sure what it would tell me.

Any pointers on where to start looking?

Thanks,

Sean