Re: [squid-users] 2-gigabit throughput, 2 squids

From: Michel Santos <michel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:54:32 -0300 (BRT)

Dave Dykstra disse na ultima mensagem:

>> I use another approach. I run three squids. using two on 127.0.0.2 and
>> .3
>> which serve as parent. So the Ip address which contacts the remote sites
>> is the IP address of the server. I get very high performance and the
>> setup
>> is easy without helper programs.
>
> So everything is filtered through one squid? I would think that would
> be a bottleneck. Does it not actually cache anything itself, just pass
> objects through with proxy-only?

well, the first is not caching but talks only to the clients and use the
both other squids as parents in round-robin fashion. Both of them query
each other as sibling proxy-only then

> We have a pair of machines for availability & scaling purposes and I
> wanted them to be siblings so they wouldn't both have to contact the
> origin server for the same object. The problem with cache_peer siblings
> is that once an item is in a cache but expired, squid will no longer
> contact its siblings. In my situation objects currently expire
> frequently so having siblings was pretty much useless (as I like to

my setup is working just fine for me but I do not use extra external
servers anymore

>> I am curious if you can get higher throuput using sockets or tcp over
>> loopbacks.
>
> What kind of throughput do you get with your arrangement?

what I meant here is the inter-squid throughput not the network performance

sincerly I never did number-testing since this configuration gives
considerable higher respond time and bandwidth reduction in comparism to
single squid servers. The largest POP I have this running is a atm
connection and there is 18-20mb/s http going in where the conventional
squid setup could not handle it properly.

Michel

Datacenter Matik http://datacenter.matik.com.br
E-Mail e Data Hosting Service para Profissionais.