Re: [squid-users] 2.6-S13 + diskd is freaky bugged

From: Michel Santos <michel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 10:28:31 -0300 (BRT)

Henrik Nordstrom disse na ultima mensagem:
> sön 2007-06-17 klockan 07:22 -0300 skrev Michel Santos:
>
>> the problem is not unique to this particular situation, it is repeatable
>> easily by shutting down the machine without waiting for squid closing
>> the
>> files and bang ...
>
> Shutting down hard by pulling the power, or by the shutdown command?

actually both
reducing rc_shutdown time in order killing the running processes does the
same harm to squid's cache_dirs

> Squid will be very unhappy if swap.state contains garbage, which might
> happen if you suddently pull the power and your OS is using a filesystem
> which don't guarantee file integrity in such conditions..

of course but the fs should be recovered by the systems fsck which
definitly happens in cases after a power or hardware failure, so I mean
the cash_dirs and their content as well as swap.state are in perfect
conditions (no file corruption I mean) when squid starts

so let's say that because of a power shortage swap.state is not written
perfectly so in my opinion when squid rebuilds the cache_dir it should be
build to the latest correct written transaction. You must have a kind of
check point in it or not? So let's say cache_dir state up to a minute
before the power off or so. Then squid discards the overhead in cache_dir
- but squid actually deletes the complete cache_content within a day or
so, that can not be ok

In my opinion this is a problem of the system time and how diskd handles
it, because sometimes the above process initiates when going into
summertime automatically in a bad moment

so that was so on 2.5

2.6 now calculates the % wrong and crashes and never comes back because
the disk gets full

it certainly seems wrong to me that squid builds a 20GB swap.state on a
1GB cache_dir (under whatever condition)

Michel

Datacenter Matik http://datacenter.matik.com.br
E-Mail e Data Hosting Service para Profissionais.