[squid-users] question about converting from redirect_program to url_rewrite_program

From: Martin Robb <MartinRobb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:03:27 -0400

We are upgrading from 2.5 to 2.6 squid. I saw in the release notes that
redirect_program was renamed url_rewrite_program. The only user guides I
can find referenced on the web site are for 2.4 and 3.0 and both
reference redirect_program (which is odd for 3.0 if it was deprecated in
2.6). Neither references url_rewrite_program. The only documentation
I've been able to find is in squid.conf.default, where it gives the new
format for input lines.

So I altered my redirect program to handle the new format, and changed
my squid.conf tag from redirect_program to url_rewrite_program. Now,
whenever I start squid, it exits after logging "The url_rewriter helpers
are crashing too rapidly, need help!" If I turn on "full" debugging with
-X, I'm not seeing any debugging output that tells me that the program
is even being started (e.g. the "helperOpenServers: Starting . . ."
message in helper.c. This is the same pathname that was working before,
it's world executable, and it runs properly from the command line. If I
put logger statements at the top of the program, they execute when I run
it from the command line, but are never executed via squid. I'm stumped
about where the problem is. Any enlightenment would be greatly
appreciated :-).

Thanks,
Martin Robb

Here is my squid.conf file:

acl All src 0/0
acl SafeMethods method GET HEAD POST
acl SafePorts port 80 32323
cache_effective_group admin
cache_effective_user squid
cache_log /var/log/squid/cache.log
cache_access_log /var/log/squid/access.log
cache_store_log none
hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?
http_access deny !SafeMethods
http_access deny !SafePorts
http_access allow All
http_port 32323
no_cache deny All
url_rewrite_program /usr/sbin/redirector
refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20% 10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0% 1440
refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320
uri_whitespace strip
visible_hostname squid.phishing-warning.com