Re: [squid-users] question about converting from redirect_program to url_rewrite_program

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:40:22 +0200

tis 2007-06-19 klockan 12:03 -0400 skrev Martin Robb:
> We are upgrading from 2.5 to 2.6 squid. I saw in the release notes that
> redirect_program was renamed url_rewrite_program. The only user guides I
> can find referenced on the web site are for 2.4 and 3.0 and both
> reference redirect_program (which is odd for 3.0 if it was deprecated in
> 2.6). Neither references url_rewrite_program. The only documentation
> I've been able to find is in squid.conf.default, where it gives the new
> format for input lines.

New format? The format is the same.. unless you use the new concurrency
option..

There is no change needed at all when upgrading. You may even use the
old squid.conf directive name, but support for that may eventually go
away..

You can find up to date hyperlinked squid.conf reference manuals for 2.6
and 3.0 from www.squid-cache.org. Just go to download directory and
you'll find the config manual link at the bottom of each release..

> So I altered my redirect program to handle the new format, and changed
> my squid.conf tag from redirect_program to url_rewrite_program. Now,
> whenever I start squid, it exits after logging "The url_rewriter helpers
> are crashing too rapidly, need help!"

There should be messages before that telling what happened. Go up to the
first warning about the helper exiting, then see if there is any error
before that indicating why it exited..

And you can run the helper from the command line as your
cache_effective_user? And it keeps running if typing a typical request
to it?

> If I turn on "full" debugging with
> -X, I'm not seeing any debugging output that tells me that the program
> is even being started (e.g. the "helperOpenServers: Starting . . ."
> message in helper.c.

-X only enables full debugging while parsing the configuration. To have
full debugging while it's running you need to set the debug_options
directive.