Re: [squid-users] wccp

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 23:58:29 +0200

mån 2007-06-25 klockan 00:36 +0300 skrev Firas A. Mubarak:
> Im using Fedora 6 (fresh insalled ) do i have to recompile the kernal with
> ip_wccp.c ?

No, the ip_gre module in Fedora 6 is quite fine for WCCP. No need to
compile ip_wccp.

And if you really want to compile ip_wccp anyway, it's just a module. No
need to recompile the kernel. The current version of ip_wccp should
compile fine on Fedora 6 I think, but with ip_gre working much better
there is not much efforts being put into testing ip_wccp with newer
kernels..

> if yes, am i still required to also install the gre module ?

You can only use one of the two at a time.

The Fedora kernels ships with GRE support built by default as a module.
No need to install anything extra.

> how to enable gre module on my fedora 6 ?

By loading the ip_gre module as in any other Linux distribution using a
modular kernel.

  modprobe ip_gre

> are the following commands enough for gre or im still need to do more
> settings ?
> is the below command enough to create gre0 interface ?
> vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-gre0

No idea. Never set it up that way, only manually in rc.local or custom
scripts (i.e. the init script for Squid).

Probably you need at least a few more variables in ifcfg-gre0 to set the
tunnel endpoints etc if setting it up that way.. but keep in mind that
the WCCP interface is not a true tunnel interface, it's a
one-directional tunnel, only accepting traffic, no traffic should be
routed to this "tunnel" by the cache server.. Also you need to remember
to disable rp_filter on the wccp/gre interface..

The following