Re: [squid-users] FreeBSD Squid timeout issue

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 13:59:37 +0545

Dave wrote:
> Hi,
> In my cache.log i am seeing one error: "page faults with physical
> i/o: 1" other than that nothing on this box has changed.

Hi Dave,

It does not matter if there is only 1 page fault.

> For my firewall i'm using pf, and i use an rdr pass rule to redirect
> any internal lan traffic to the router's squid port, this has worked
> fine so far.

Since it was working a few days ago, pf must be doing it's job right.

> Would the core file be helpful?

Well the core file would be helpful for Squid developers. I am not
familiar with it:)

> Here's my squid.conf file, thanks a lot.
> Dave.
>
> http_port 127.0.0.1:3128 transparent

You could use:

http_port 3128 transparent right? Have you tried using your proxy server
manually in your web browser and tried browsing?

> icp_port 0
> hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?
> cache_mem 48 MB
> cache_swap_high 100%
> cache_swap_low 80%

Why use 100% for cache_swap_high? You can use 95% right?

> maximum_object_size 4096 KB
> minimum_object_size 0 KB
> maximum_object_size_in_memory 8 KB
> ipcache_size 1024
> ipcache_low 90
> ipcache_high 95
> fqdncache_size 1024
> cache_replacement_policy lru
> memory_replacement_policy lru
> cache_dir diskd /usr/local/squid/cache 600 32 512

600 MB could be a bit small for a cache don't you think so? But it's
perfectly your choice.

> access_log /usr/local/squid/logs/access.log squid
> cache_log /usr/local/squid/logs/cache.log
> cache_store_log none
> emulate_httpd_log off

I prefer emulate_httpd_log on. But your choice might be different.

> log_ip_on_direct on
> mime_table /usr/local/etc/squid/mime.conf
> log_mime_hdrs off
> pid_filename /usr/local/squid/logs/squid.pid
> log_fqdn off
> check_hostnames off
> allow_underscore off
> unlinkd_program /usr/local/libexec/squid/unlinkd
> acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
> acl manager proto cache_object
> acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
> acl to_localhost dst 127.0.0.0/8
> acl SSL_ports port 443
> acl Safe_ports port 80 # http
> acl Safe_ports port 21 # ftp
> acl Safe_ports port 443 # https
> acl Safe_ports port 70 # gopher
> acl Safe_ports port 210 # wais
> acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535 # unregistered ports
> acl Safe_ports port 280 # http-mgmt
> acl Safe_ports port 488 # gss-http
> acl Safe_ports port 591 # filemaker
> acl Safe_ports port 777 # multiling http
> acl CONNECT method CONNECT
> http_access allow manager localhost
> http_access deny manager
> http_access deny !Safe_ports
> http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
> http_access deny to_localhost
> acl our_networks src 192.168.5.0/24
> acl chat dstdomain "/usr/local/etc/squid/chat.txt"
> acl porn url_regex "/usr/local/etc/squid/porn"
> acl spyware dstdomain "/usr/local/etc/squid/spyware.acl"
> http_access allow our_networks !chat !spyware !porn

How many entries do you have in the above ACLs? If there are thousands
of them, it could be one of the reasons why your Squid is slow and
giving timeouts.

> http_access deny all
> http_reply_access allow all
> cache_mgr user@example.com
> cache_effective_user squid
> httpd_suppress_version_string on
> half_closed_clients off
> redirect_program /usr/local/libexec/bannerfilter/redirector.pl

If all fails, why do you try deleting your cache_dir and recreate it.
Might work for your case!

Thanking you...