Re: [squid-users] Always log proxy usernames

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 00:23:01 +0200

tis 2007-06-26 klockan 23:32 +1000 skrev Tim Bates:
> We use passthough authentication, but have no access to the upstream
> logs. I vaguely remember seeing some docs on how to trick squid into
> logging the username, but still passing it on. But I can't find anything
> at all anymore...
> Is it possible to make Squid *always* log usernames (when present) in
> the logs, but still pass the account details on to the upstream proxy?

Sure, at least if it's basic authentication being used. Just use a dummy
basic auth helper anything as valid.

Or you could spend a few minutes adding the code needed for Squid to
sniff the username from basic or digest auth headers if available,
without actually requesting authentication.

It's also possible to sniff the username from NTLM authentication, but
considerably harder as the NTLM blobs needs to be parsed and
understood..