Re: [squid-users] Cannot connect to Squid's default port

From: Jakob Curdes <jc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 00:39:03 +0200

> Thank you everyone for your help. The dedicated server company where my squid is located has just
> reported to me that "we are blocking outgoing connections on tcp/3128 port for security reasons".
>
> Does this mean that they are a "squid unfriendly" company? Is there any reason to block that port,
> and not other ports associated with proxy servers??

For the record: if a telnet to a tcp port times out or you do not get a
meaningful response this means there is something in between.
An application -whatever it is- will alway be active and responding on
the port or there is no service running at the port so that any request
is an immediate failure.

There are many reasons to block proxies [at least on stadanrd ports].
This has nothing to do with squid speccially.

JC