[squid-users] Recommended Cache Settings for cache_mem

From: Adam Parsons <adamp@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 09:53:48 +0930 (CST)

Hi, I would like advise on what the best settings would be for cache_mem on a SquidNT (Note: SquidNT) box that we will be putting out into a number of schools. The specs of the workstation are Pentium Duo Core 1.86, 1 GB Ram, 160GB Hard drive. We have set aside 60GB of space for the cache (though we could go to 80GB?, as we have the space). The box is mostly going to be used for a local squid caching box, but it is also going to be used as a McAfee repository (which will only take up 150MB of space). What would be the best setting for cache_mem and would setting the cache_dir to 80GB be beneficial, seeing as most of these sites would use less than 10GB of internet a month?

Thanks in advance - Adam