Re: [squid-users] Recommended Cache Settings for cache_mem

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 18:18:50 +0545

Adam Parsons wrote:
> Hi, I would like advise on what the best settings would be for cache_mem on a SquidNT (Note: SquidNT) box that we will be putting out into a number of schools. The specs of the workstation are Pentium Duo Core 1.86, 1 GB Ram, 160GB Hard drive. We have set aside 60GB of space for the cache (though we could go to 80GB?, as we have the space). The box is mostly going to be used for a local squid caching box, but it is also going to be used as a McAfee repository (which will only take up 150MB of space). What would be the best setting for cache_mem and would setting the cache_dir to 80GB be beneficial, seeing as most of these sites would use less than 10GB of internet a month?

Hi Adam,

For cache_mem, you could use:

cache_mem 32 MB

Regarding cache_dir, you can try and use 60GB if your internet usage is
high.

Or you could use something like:

cache_dir ufs /cache1 20480 24 256

I suppose you will only be using 1 partition (/cache1) in each of your
SquidNT boxes.

Also you can use several other storage schemes instead of ufs. They
include aufs, diskd and coss. However if your SquidNT box will only be
serving between, say, 1 to 40 requests per second, then ufs should serve
you fine.

If you want to use or experiment with other storage schemes, then you
need to instruct Squid to use them during your compilation with
something like the following parameter:

'--enable-storeio=aufs,diskd,coss,ufs,null'

Hope it helps.

Thanking you...

--
With best regards and good wishes,