Re: [squid-users] Recommended Cache Settings for cache_mem

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 10:02:58 -0700

Jeff Pang wrote:
> 2007/7/4, Michel Santos <michel@lucenet.com.br>:
>>
>> Snow Wolf disse na ultima mensagem:
>> > 20-30G,the OS would become very high-load due to the disk cache
>> > swap.So I think even you have 160G disk,you may not set the cache_dir
>> > bigger than 20G.

The real measure here is number of i/o's per second per spindle...
you'll something on the order of 50-100 from 7200 rpm disks (read
service time is around 20ms) given that not all activities (writes)
require an immediate seek. In the context of squid, fast disks or lots
of disks are more important than large disks because scaling comes from
the number of requests that can be served....

>> ahem ... so I would need 8 x 160G disks in order getting 160G of
>> cache_dir
>> or 4 x 250 also would do it? And the rest of each disk is used by this
>> "disk cache swap" thing?

the rest of the disk is empty.