Re: [squid-users] Creating a web admin site, suggestions?

From: Roger Morris <morris_r@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 08:24:16 -0700

Elijah Alcantara wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got this small project to create a php+mysql system that will
> manage a small network and setup web rules like blocking specific
> websites.
>
> I was thinking of saving these rules to the database then if the user
> clicks on the apply button at the frontend the squid proxy will fetch
> all these rules from a text/config file that the system created from
> the database.
>
> Is that the best solution? any comments on how I could best tackle this ?

I have squid/squidguard setup. I have a php page that users can go to
and add blocks for their areas. A cronjob runs and checks the database,
if the table had been modified, it creates the new access list and
updates the proxy servers.
We have multiple schools in the district, each school can determine what
extra blocks they want to have for their school.
I also have a 'global' table, so if I find a site that should be blocked
district wide, then I add the site to the global list. When the person
logs into the admin site, they only have the ability to alter their
school file.