[squid-users] Re: Deleting UFS cache files directly

From: RW <fbsd06@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 01:26:30 +0100

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 00:12:11 +0200
Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net> wrote:

> Why do you want to do this? Squid maintains the cache
> automatically..

I find that larger files are only worth caching for a short time
because if there's a chance I might want them again I'll save them
(out of the cache).

> From your description it sounds like you might want to look into using
> the heap GDSF replacement policy.

I had a cursory look at the heap policy implementations and got the
impression that the heap keys are recomputed when the squid process
starts-up. If that's correct then the LFUDA and GDSF implementations
are only really suitable for systems with very long squid up-times. In
my case I turn my PC off on most nights rendering the aging mechanism
useless.

> If you really want to delete stuff manually then look into using the
> purge utility (see related software).

AFAIK purge only deletes by URL, not combinations of age and size.
"purge -ve." can generate a very detailed object listing though, which
might be useful if I ever get around to writing a script.