Re: [squid-users] Squid 2.x maximum_object_size related to memory usage

From: rihad <rihad@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:29:07 +0500

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2007, rihad wrote:
>
>> And if it _can_ cache it, will Squid 2.6 keep it wholly in memory before
>> finishing the download?
>
> Only until you've filled the cache_mem amount of object memory - then it'll
> start deleting objects from the cache. It can do this for objects which
> haven't yet been fully received and sent onto the client.

Ok, now I understand that, if you have cache_mem of, say, 300 mb, it's
never a good idea to make maximum_object_size = 64 MB as an average of
10-20 concurrent downloads will surely fill the memory. I hoped Squid
would only keep in memory the buffer (up to read_ahead_gap) necessary
for relaying the file being downloaded to the client, while still
writing it on the disk in the process.