Re: [squid-users] Squid 2.x maximum_object_size related to memory usage

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:43:16 +0800

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007, rihad wrote:

> Ok, now I understand that, if you have cache_mem of, say, 300 mb, it's
> never a good idea to make maximum_object_size = 64 MB as an average of
> 10-20 concurrent downloads will surely fill the memory. I hoped Squid
> would only keep in memory the buffer (up to read_ahead_gap) necessary
> for relaying the file being downloaded to the client, while still
> writing it on the disk in the process.

The memory cache and the disk cache are pretty seperate. squid can
remove a memory from being in the "memory cache" (ie, the whole object
is in memory) whilst still writing it to disk as it comes off the
network.

I don't believe anyone's done much work investigating Squid's behaviour
with small and large memory objects.

Adrian