Re: [squid-users] How to override expires, maxage, s-maxage on reverse proxy?

From: Michael Pye <michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 22:52:54 +0100

Ricardo Newbery wrote:
> Again, I'm not sure refresh_pattern will solve my usecase since:
> 1) The docs above don't explicitly say that any of the options will
> override max-age and s-maxage, and
> 2) It appears that refresh_pattern can only be applied to a
> regex-matching URI, whereas I would like to apply it selectively based
> on the initial response headers

I just setup a small test case with 2 squid servers -
squid1) has only the default refresh patterns
squid2) has an enforced minumum age on the refresh pattern that matches
the domain I was requesting of 10 minutes.

The 1st squid forwards to the 2nd squid which forwards to apache. apache
is setting headers:
Cache-Control: public, s-maxage=150, max-age=150
Expires: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 21:31:23 GMT

The minumum age is set to 10 minutes and it does indeed keep cached for
10 minutes on the 2nd squid, and the 1st squid expires it after 150
seconds.

You can then override cache-control headers if you want with
refresh_pattern min setting if you want to cache longer, and probably
max setting also if you wanted to cache for a shorter period of time.

Regarding your 2nd point there is no way I know of to set refresh
directives other than for matching a regex against a URI. It is
something that would be useful if it were to be added to squid I
believe, to set refresh directives based on an ACL rather than a regex.

--
Michael