Re: [squid-users] Entries are cached on the result of the URL rewriting process?

From: Ricardo Newbery <lists@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 01:24:13 -0700

On Jul 29, 2007, at 3:02 PM, Michael Pye wrote:

> Ricardo Newbery wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure entries are cached (and are purgeable) based on
>> the URL
>> coming into squid, not whatever squid rewrites it to.
>
> No - they are cached as it states based on what URLs are rewritten to.
>
> You have to be careful in reverse proxy setups if you are
> attempting to
> rewrite the URL to multiple back end web servers as you will probably
> not get your intended behaviour. If you are trying to select mutliple
> back end web servers using a rewriter you may want to look at using
> cache_peer origin-server directives instead, which will keep the
> URL the
> same.

Odd... I just ran a series of tests on a reverse-proxy setup using
url_rewrite_program to rewrite urls and the results don't appear to
confirm this.

Purges work with the incoming url. Purges don't work with the
outgoing url (or actually, the outgoing *path* fed into the squid
host:port).

Am I misunderstanding something?

Ric