Re: [squid-users] Detecting and blocking child proxy servers

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:05:05 +0200

On tis, 2007-07-31 at 17:30 +0545, Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:

> Now I have found out that some of our clients are using some sort of
> proxy server to share and utilize that bandwidth which is burstable.

And it's probably not Squid, and most likely does not add the discussed
headers. More likely just standard Windows connection sharing.

Might even be as simple as a NAT router connecting multiple stations.

> The basic idea behind detecting child proxies is to discourage such
> users because we have schemes which allows them to deploy any number of
> PCs or proxies but of course with a higher price tag.

I would recommend you to worry about "multiple users" instead of
"proxies". The approach to detect those is a little different.