Re: [squid-users] Detecting and blocking child proxy servers

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 00:46:30 +0545

Hi Henrik,

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On tis, 2007-07-31 at 17:30 +0545, Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:
>
>> Now I have found out that some of our clients are using some sort of
>> proxy server to share and utilize that bandwidth which is burstable.
>
> And it's probably not Squid, and most likely does not add the discussed
> headers. More likely just standard Windows connection sharing.
>
> Might even be as simple as a NAT router connecting multiple stations.

Yes they might be just Windows ICS or simple a NAT router. I agree with
you and your reasonings.

>> The basic idea behind detecting child proxies is to discourage such
>> users because we have schemes which allows them to deploy any number of
>> PCs or proxies but of course with a higher price tag.
>
> I would recommend you to worry about "multiple users" instead of
> "proxies". The approach to detect those is a little different.

I will also try your approach and give more priority to "multiple users"
   instead of "proxies".

I guess I will have to go up to an extra mile to accomplished this task:)

As always, thank you for your help and suggestions.

Thanking you...

--
With best regards and good wishes,
Yours sincerely,