Re: [squid-users] Detecting and blocking child proxy servers

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 00:57:03 +0545

squid inbox wrote:
> --- Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
> wrote:
>

>> And it's probably not Squid, and most likely does
>> not add the discussed
>> headers. More likely just standard Windows
>> connection sharing.
>
> I think that the windows ICS adds the headers because
> my ISP was able to block connection from client
> computers when I used ICS.

Hi,

I did not know that ICS add their own headers. Maybe your ISP was
deploying other techniques to block ICS rather than using Squid.

Firewalls such as IPTABLES and IPFW do have the capabilities to detect
NATing and ICS right?

> So, i used a proxy server that does not send the
> headers.

Hmmm. So did you completely defeat your ISP after using your stealth
proxy server?

>> I would recommend you to worry about "multiple
>> users" instead of
>> "proxies". The approach to detect those is a little
>> different.
>
> Yes, actually i realized that my ISP is applying such
> methods. And It causes me a lot of pain. For example,
> even on the same PC (server) when i try to open
> multiple pages at the same time, i might be
> disconnected, other pages are ignored etc...
>

> A combination of blocking requests that contain the
> headers and statistical blocking will be very helpful
> to you and very painful to users.

We won't be that harsh to our customers. If they come from a single PC,
then we will try our very best to make sure that any number of pages can
be accessed from that PC.

Thanks for sharing your experience and insights.

Thanking you...

> Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more.

With best regards and good wishes,
Yours sincerely,
Tek Bahadur Limbu
(TAG/TDG Group)