Re: [squid-users] Detecting and blocking child proxy servers

From: squid inbox <squidinbox@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:34:19 -0700 (PDT)

> More likely it's just a very large link transmit
> buffer at the ISP
> causing latency to skyrocket.. seen on most DSL
> links. It's a common
> technique used for maximising download speeds, but
> serverely hurts
> interactivity while a download is in progress.

I have a cable internet, and the speed that the ISP
provides me is high at the beginning of the request
for about 5 seconds then goes down to a limit that it
stabilizes on. If this limit was reached other
requests will face difficulties, not because its
technically not feasible but because he uses this
technique to limit the effect of internet sharing.

When i limit my download speed. And I request to open
a page, that page gets a high speed again, while my
download remains on.

For example if the speed limit is s. At the start of
the requests it gets about 50xs.

> Easily overcome by shaping/restricting your incoming
> traffic to just
> below the actual link speed, as if you had a
> slightly slower connection.

Yes, this might might be helpful to defeat the
technique that my ISP is using. Actually you can
consider ISP's technique as a simulation of the DSL
case that you explained but he can still control the
speed given to connections.

Got a little couch potato?