Re: [squid-users] What is the most data anyone has cached with squid?

From: K K <kkadow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 23:50:21 -0500

I'd assume that the limit on cached data for Squid is not the number
of bytes, but the number of cached objects?

If you were to tune squid to be aggressive about caching large popular
objects, then you could certainly fill a terabyte plus cache_dir, but
I'm not sure how cost effective it would be overall to build a small
number of extremely high capacity caches.

My opinion is that unless you're getting these multi-terabyte arrays
for free, or your bandwidth is really insanely expensive and
high-latency, that the same investment could be better spent building
a small number of extremely high *speed* caches; that is fast caches
near the end-user and with many spindles, populated with all the RAM
you can cram.

Kevin