Re: [squid-users] username and password in TRANSPARENT mode

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 16:57:57 +0800

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007, Indunil Jayasooriya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am runing squid with nsca_ath feature.
> I have configured client browser to use squid proxy server with ip
> address and port 3128. All work fine.
>
> Then, I configured SQUID in TRANSPARENT mode. Then, I lost the user
> name and password feature. Is it NORMAL in TRANSPARENT mode?
>
> This happened in SQUID 2.5.

I don't know why this isn't better documented, alas. No, transparent
interception doesn't function with proxy authentication. Its a shortcoming
of the HTTP RFC spec. I hear rumours about commercial products supporting
cookie-type hacks to do authentication but I've never seen it live.

Use WPAD+proxy.pac to autodiscover proxy services for a LAN.

Adrian