Re: [squid-users] Squid and PPPoE - peculiar things

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 17:00:17 +0800

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007, Ming-Ching Tiew wrote:

> Anyone has experience peculiar things with Squid and PPPoE ?
>
> I have a setup where Squid is doing transparent tproxy for PPPoE
> and non-PPPoE users, however the experience is that when
> squid is serving the cached files for PPPoE users, it's slower
> than a commercial product.
>
> Is it possible that this is a MTU problem ? Does it make sense
> to change the ethernet interfaces to have a smaller MTU
> ( matching with a typical PPPoE config ) ? Or do I have to
> add iptables rule to clamp-mss-to-pmtu ?
>
> I have already got
>
> httpd_accel_no_pmtu_disc off
>
> as the default value.

You're going to have to be slightly more detailed than that.
"slower than a commercial product" when "serving cached files"
could mean anything.

Try modifying the routing table to always present a lower MTU,
check to see what the path between the Squid and the PPPoE client,
do some transfer tests between a PPPoE client and the Squid server
itself (eg via thttpd on the squid server); try to nail down what
exactly constitutes it being "not fast".

Adrian