Re: [squid-users] Cache authenticated content?

From: René GARCIA <rene@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 11:40:19 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Tom,

I've been working on a similar problem last week. I've read the squid
sources to understand how it works exactly and the answer is yes, if the
content needs authentication it will not be cached by default. You will
get MISS each time you request the same document.

If you configure squid to ignore authentication (refresh_pattern
ignore-auth option), it will cache the document but users won't need to
authenticate for the following requests. I guess this is not what you
want.

I had to configure the web server to add this new header in the
authenticated replies:
Cache-Control: max-age=0, must-revalidate, public

The public keywork allows squid to store the content of the reply.
The max-age=0 option forces squid to check if the stored document is up to
date on next requests. As a consequence it will also check authentication
and user access.
The must-revalidate keywork is here to force all caches (private and
public) to check content validity on next request (will check auth).

If you can't modify the web server replies, I don't know how to do this
without modifying squid source code.

Regards,
René