Re: [squid-users] Squid too slow.Please Help.Urgent

From: Preetish <preetish.tripathi@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 02:41:15 +0530

Hi Everybody,

> From your previous email, I suspect your squid CPU usage is that high
> due to url_regex acls (perhaps the acl files contain too many regexes
> to evaluate). Try commenting them out, or simply making those files
> empty.

Gr8 ..:D.After doing this the cpu utilization has come down to around
3% to 4%. even my Number of clients accessing cache: reached 1567
in no time and was still incerasing but Like Tek Bahadur said i ran
out of file descriptors :(. So i ll now recompile squid the way i just
saw on one of the mailing list and let you guys know what happened.

But the issue is my bl-porn.conf has only 3214 lines and i really need
them. Is there any other way i can do it without stressing the CPU ?

>>could you show the output of these commands?

>>unset http_proxy
>>time wget http://www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.9.tar.gz
>>time wget http://www.in.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.9.tar.gz

Well i do not have wget installed on my proxy so i did a `ssh -D 1080
xxx@xxx -fN` from one of my servers . i had squid shutdown coz it was
giving a lot of warnings . This is what i get when i wget a file

48.8 Mb in 7min 46 sec --- from India (.83 Mbps)
48.8 Mb in 18min 47 sec ---- from US (.34 Mbps)

So on a 4

When i am using my local DNS server this is the time it takes:
{{
time nslookup froogle.google.com
Server: 172.24.2.71
Address: 172.24.2.71#53

Non-authoritative answer:
froogle.google.com canonical name = froogle.l.google.com.
Name: froogle.l.google.com
Address: 72.14.255.99
Name: froogle.l.google.com
Address: 72.14.255.103
Name: froogle.l.google.com
Address: 72.14.255.104
Name: froogle.l.google.com
Address: 72.14.255.147

    0m0.22s real 0m0.00s user 0m0.00s system

and for indiatimes
time nslookup www.indiatimes.com
Server: 172.24.2.71
Address: 172.24.2.71#53

Non-authoritative answer:
www.indiatimes.com canonical name = www.indiatimes.com.edgesuite.net.
www.indiatimes.com.edgesuite.net canonical name = a1934.g.akamai.net.
Name: a1934.g.akamai.net
Address: 203.199.74.25
Name: a1934.g.akamai.net
Address: 203.199.74.11

    0m0.19s real 0m0.00s user 0m0.01s system
}}

When i am using the DNS of my ISP it give :

{{

time nslookup www.fish.com
Server: 202.78.165.1
Address: 202.78.165.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.fish.com
Address: 12.44.249.13

    0m1.31s real 0m0.00s user 0m0.01s system
time nslookup www.gmu.edu
Server: 202.78.165.1
Address: 202.78.165.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
www.gmu.edu canonical name = jiju.gmu.edu.
Name: jiju.gmu.edu
Address: 129.174.1.52

    0m0.71s real 0m0.01s user 0m0.00s system
}}

Well hope this information willbe of some use . I ll recompile squid
and let all of you know the stats. Thank all of you :).And please let
me know an effective way of using the url_regex.

Regards
Preetish