Re: [squid-users] Squid too slow.Please Help.Urgent

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 09:42:03 +1200 (NZST)

> Hi Everybody,
>

>> From your previous email, I suspect your squid CPU usage is that high
>> due to url_regex acls (perhaps the acl files contain too many regexes
>> to evaluate). Try commenting them out, or simply making those files
>> empty.
>
> Gr8 ..:D.After doing this the cpu utilization has come down to around
> 3% to 4%. even my Number of clients accessing cache: reached 1567
> in no time and was still incerasing but Like Tek Bahadur said i ran
> out of file descriptors :(. So i ll now recompile squid the way i just
> saw on one of the mailing list and let you guys know what happened.
>
> But the issue is my bl-porn.conf has only 3214 lines and i really need
> them. Is there any other way i can do it without stressing the CPU ?

Yes. Go through the file and remove any domains that do not need paths to
be matched. With porn sites your are likely to find A LOT.
Those domains can be put in their own file and a much faster dstdomain acl
used alongside the now much smaller regex one.

Last time I recommended this to someone, another user posted a useful
script to automate the splitting process.

Amos