Re: [squid-users] Opinions sought on best storage type for FreeBSD

From: Michel Santos <michel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 15:47:39 -0300 (BRT)

Nicole disse na ultima mensagem:

> Hello
> I run a large number of FreeBSD based servers as cache accelerators for
> large
> scale image serving. (amd64 and most with dual core)
>
> Each server has (3) 147G disks and 36G of the boot disk.
> Altho I have some older servers that have 36G and (3) 72G disks.
>
> The older (smaller) servers seem mostly fine with FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE
> using
> diskD on Version 2.6.STABLE12. However the larger servers on 6.2-STABLE
> and
> (Version 2.6.STABLE12 and up) seem to be falling over and falling over
> themselves every so often.

Hi
could you explain better what happens ?

> I assume due to the diskD bug with FreeBSD.

what bug is it you found?

> (enormous
> disk usage and swapfiles as compared to AUFS for instance)

if your server use swap you are short on memory (ram)

> I have been testing both AUFS and COSS as an alternative and both with
> mixed

AFAIN aufs works well but slower in comparism to diskd

> the bug, I am curious what others have been using or prefer as their
> alternative to diskd and why?

diskd for sure is the fastest specially on SMP machines but there are not
so much people sharing my opinion ...

Michel

Datacenter Matik http://datacenter.matik.com.br
E-Mail e Data Hosting Service para Profissionais.