[squid-users] Opinions sought on best storage type for FreeBSD

From: Nicole <nmh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:18:42 -0700 (PDT)

 Hello
 I run a large number of FreeBSD based servers as cache accelerators for large
scale image serving. (amd64 and most with dual core)

 Each server has (3) 147G disks and 36G of the boot disk.
 Altho I have some older servers that have 36G and (3) 72G disks.

 The older (smaller) servers seem mostly fine with FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE using
diskD on Version 2.6.STABLE12. However the larger servers on 6.2-STABLE and
(Version 2.6.STABLE12 and up) seem to be falling over and falling over
themselves every so often. I assume due to the diskD bug with FreeBSD. (enormous
disk usage and swapfiles as compared to AUFS for instance)

 I have been testing both AUFS and COSS as an alternative and both with mixed
success. As some have pointed out, it's a shame diskd is horked, since it seemed
to be nice and fast. However, since I have not heard of any progress on fixing
the bug, I am curious what others have been using or prefer as their
alternative to diskd and why?

  Thank you!

  Nicole