Re: [squid-users] cache_dir and max-size

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:07:04 -0800

RW wrote:
> If I split my cache like this:
>
> cache_dir aufs /usr/local/squid/small_obj 1700 16 256 max-size=800000
> cache_dir aufs /usr/local/squid/big_obj 200 16 256
>
> Presumably nothing bigger than max-size will end-up in the first
> cache, but how often will the smaller objects end-up in the second
> cache? Assuming that both cache-directories have filled.

The answer to this question depends heavily on how busy your cache is.
The default store_dir_select_algorithm is "least-load". On a lightly
used server, the first defined directory will be utilized the most. As
the server is more heavily trafficed the other directories will be
tapped more.

Some discussion has passed about a min-size argument to cache_dir (to
keep small objects out of the non-COSS cache_dirs), but I don't know
where that led.

Chris