Re: [squid-users] Opinions sought on best storage type for FreeBSD

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 15:10:03 +0545

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On fre, 2007-08-10 at 06:50 -0300, Michel Santos wrote:
>
>> please be a little bit more specific about "comitting resources", what do
>> you exactly mean?
>
> Gettin a developer working on fixing the bugs.
>
>> what is what you agree to be broken beyond the shutdown issue?
>
> Bug #761 unstable under high load when using diskd cache_dir
>
> diskd falls over under load due to internal design problems in how it
> maintains callback queues. Duane fixed most of it quite recently so it's
> no longer near as bad as it has been, but there is still stuff to do.
> The problems was first reported 5 years ago.

Hi Henrik,

diskd indeed seems to fail under load especially when approaching
200/300 requests per second.

It causes Squid to crash and restart automatically. Though, the side
effects are not noticed to the causal user, it prevents the cache from
stabilizing in the first place.

>> ok you mean threads instead of pthreads right?
>
> I don't know the FreeBSD thread packages very well to call them by name.
> I only know there is two posix threads implementations. One userspace
> which is what has been around for a long time and can not support aufs
> with any reasonable performance, and a new one in more current releases
> using kernel threads which is quite capable of supporting aufs.

As far as I know and seen with my limited experience, diskd seems good
for BSD boxes. But I guess I have to try other alternatives too.

If I opt to use aufs, will the following compilations work?

'--enable-async-io' '--with-pthreads'

or

--enable-async-io=40

or

'--enable-async-io'

Or simply, what is the best compilation parameters to use on a
Linux/Unix machine if I want to use aufs?

coss at first seemed a good choice but it's long rebuilding process is
not suitable for production use.

Thanking you...

--
With best regards and good wishes,